Time: Wednesday 25th January 2023
Place: Lapland Hotel, Oulu, Finland
09.30 Registration and coffee
10.00 Opening of the event
10.15 Different needs, same forests – how to use forests in a sustainable way
Sustainable development specialist Hanna-Leena Pesonen, Regional Council of Lapland
11.00 What have we done in the forests?
Results of forest-related projects of the Arctic cooperation programmes
13.00 Meet your favorites!
Get up-close to different kind of projects from non-timber use of forests to accessibility of forest resources and training of excavator operators
ECO-Dive: Diverse and clean forests – successful bioeconomy
- EXPERT: training excavators in ecological restoration
- Access2Forest: Tools for enhancing access to forest resources in cross border bioeconomy
- Added value from logging residues: Innovative methods to produce valuable biochemicals and ingredients from loggin residues
15.00 Future of the arctic forests – panel discussion on future needs and opportunities
Panel moderator: D.Soc.Sc. Seija Tuulentie, Research Professor, Natural Resources Institute Finland
- Pasi Poikonen, Group Manager, Research Scientist, Natural Resources Institute Finland
- Hanna-Leena Pesonen, Sustainable development specialist, Regional Council of Lapland
- Jari Vilén, Ambassador for Barents and Northern Dimension policies
- Kalle Pakalén, Project Desk Office, Interreg Northern Periphery and Arctic Programme
- Kairi Pääsuke, Programme Officer, Interreg Aurora
16.00 Closing words
The seminar is organised by Karelia and Kolarctic cross-border cooperation programmes that are funded by the European Union. The objective of the event is to bring together the projects and people interested in forests and to show what the forest-related projects have accomplished as well as to talk about the future needs and opportunities.
Kindly sign to the event here by the 19th January 2023.
As a side event Arctic Awards ceremony takes place on 25th January in the evening. You can find more information here.
On the following day a seminar on Circular Economy and Waste Management is organised. You can find more information here.